Your saved items

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are the answers to some of the questions we're asked the most. And a few more besides.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the questions we're asked the most. If you still can't find the answer you're looking for, you can contact us directly and we will try our best to help.

General Questions

Who do I contact to commission some design, print or a film?

The Brand and Marketing Team’s Creative Services department can help you. Use the Design and Content Request form  or the Film Request Form .  

If you have a query, contact the team using the contact us form or email us at

Where can I find the latest Brand guidelines?

Find the latest Brand guidelines here .

How many whales can you fit in a Mini Cooper?

Depends on the whale. 

Design and Print

How long will it take to produce Design and Print materials?

  • Each job has its own unique design and production components. In all instances, no matter how big or small a job is, we’ll contact you to agree the timescales of the work you require.
  • Allow 2 weeks for the design and print production for simple jobs (e.g. for a pop up banner, an A4 poster or a 2 sided A5 leaflet). This assumes you already have approved copy.   More complex jobs will need more time.
  • We can often produce material faster if required - do discuss your requirements if your need has urgently arisen.
  • Also check the templates available on the brand shop. It’s another way to produce material quickly and cost effectively.  
  • Contact us at to discuss your needs.

Can I get help with copy writing?

If you need some guidance on brand tone of voice check the Brand GuidelinesWe don’t have in house copy writing resource but can recommend freelancers specialising in different types of writing who will be able to help you. You’ll need to allow extra time in your planning schedule if you require copy writing services.

Who is responsible for proof-reading?

You’re responsible proofing reading your work. We’ll always provide a print proof for you to approve for items going to print. 

If you need the services of a proof reader we can source one for you and get an estimate.  

If you have any concerns about copy discuss them with us and we’ll find some support for you.

Who pays for the design?

All design costs are quoted in advance for you to approve and raise a purchase order if appropriate.  Each estimate will include three rounds of amendments and will assume that you are providing copy at the time of briefing.

Can I use a local printer?

We have contracted relationships with print and merchandise suppliers who meet our ethical and environmental requirements. They also adhere to our brand policy and keep work consistent. We should only move away from these suppliers under special circumstances and this should be discussed with our Print Production Manager. Contact him at

How long will it take to print something?

We generally allow 5 working days for most jobs from your approval of the printers proof which we’ll provide.

In all instances, no matter how big or small a job is, we’ll contact you to agree the timescales of the overall work you require including the print if that is necessary.

What is the Web-2-Print Service?

We've renamed Web-2-Print the Brand Shop. It’s our online service where you can order and buy branded merchandise, leaflets, booklets, personalised material and stationery. It allows you to personalise many print items to meet your specific needs as well as easily get hold of fundraising merchandise and materials.  You order through the site, your cost centre is charged and items are delivered by courier or second class post. Let us know if you can't find what you need, we'll be glad to help.

I have a problem with my Brand Shop delivery/payment/order?

Contact us and we’ll be happy to help (include a screen grab if you think that will help).

How quickly will I get my Brand Shop order?

Print orders are sent by courier and other items are sent by 2nd class post or next day Parcelforce delivery. If you require a special or urgent delivery service please specify this by putting your instructions in the ‘Notes to production’ when you place your order.

How do I order a new sign for my service?

Contact us to order a sign for your service. Please tell us if you need to incorporate any partner or local authority logos and how much budget you have. We look forward to hearing from you. 

Film and Photography

How long will it take to produce a film?

  • Film and photography production can vary greatly in length but generally speaking, the longer spent planning and producing a film or shoot, the better it will be.

  • If you’re planning a project which you think may require photography or filming, or a promotional film (e.g. for an event or campaign), please talk to us before you plan any other aspect as film production may have the longest lead time of all the items you’re planning.

  • When starting to plan, bear in mind that creating a film can take anything from one day to 6 months, with many variables in-between. In addition, while an actual photo-shoot usually takes a full day, you’ll again need to plan locations, models/people and so allowing a minimum of 4 – 6 weeks to plan, depending on the complexity, would be appropriate. 

I need a film now – what’s available?

Our major films public facing films can be found on our YouTube channel.

We also have a series of non-public films, and these can sourced by emailing the brand team. We can also provide the original files of a film, if you require it.

We’re constantly updating and expanding this library and we aim to have films to suit everyone’s needs. If you can’t find one that meets your brief, you may need to commission one. 

We can create films in-house or help you via our network of preferred external agencies and freelancers. You’ll be involved at all times and your team will be responsible for the budget.  We’re happy to work closely with you to get the best possible result in keeping with your objectives, resources and timescales.

What do I need to consider when briefing or creating a film or photo shoot?

Involve the Brand team as soon as possible by completing a Film Request Form. Complete the details and send it in. We’ll then be in contact to discuss your needs.

You’ll be asked to consider the call to action of your film, the audience, the purpose, costs, timescales and potential variables etc.

What if I want popular/famous music in my film?

Music on films can be complicated and must comply with UK copyright law. We’re happy to help you with this but it’s important to be aware that the process can be lengthy and time consuming for well-known tracks (e.g. by the likes of Adele, Michael Jackson, Miles Davis, Beethoven etc.).  Up to three types of copyright licenses must be obtained and agreed in advance and it may include screening the video to the copyright holders, which means your film must be ready before you purchase music. 

Alternatives to well-known music are always worth exploring and are likely, in many circumstances, to be less costly and time consuming. For example, we can obtain less expensive ‘film’ music from online libraries, where licenses are quicker to obtain.  We can help you with this. 

Original compositions (e.g. service users performing their own composition within your film) are the copyright of the filmmaker and composer (in this case Action for Children). 

How do I get my film branded?

All our films must be branded with the correct logos and pass quality assurances before they can be used. Our involvement in your production will ensure you have all the correct branding.

Do I have the right permissions/permission forms?

All our film and photography must follow our informed consent process. You cannot film young people (below 18 (16 in Scotland)) without parental or guardian consent. You will also need permission to film and photograph in any location other than public land (your local Authority will have more information about what land is public and what is privately owned).  Any film with a commercial element (such as a fundraising ask) may also need to obtain model release forms for buildings featured within it (such as showing Buckingham Palace in a fundraising film).

Consent MUST be acquired before filming or photography commences.

Can I load a film onto the Action for Children's YouTube Channel?

The Brand and Digital Teams look after the YouTube channel.  All films should be sent to and then our Multi Media Editor will be in contact with you. You should not load a film up without agreement from the Brand Team.

Due to the time and costs associated with filming and photography, we aim to make materials as available as possible. If there are restrictions or special circumstances surrounding your content (such as safeguarding issues), do let us know.  

Can I borrow photographic and filming equipment?

We have a range cameras available to suit everyone's needs, along with a selection of useful accessories.

These are located at the Watford Office and can be signed in and out for you by the Brand Team.  

To borrow equipment, email Please note that we operate on a first come, first served basis, so if you know you’ll need equipment at a certain time, we recommend booking ahead.

Can someone help me shooting and edit material?

We’re keen to support people who wish to undertake their own shoots with training and guidelines. Contact us if you need some help.